The following are the updated COVID-19 testing and quarantine guidelines. The changes are implemented for employees, volunteers and students working within NYP including those of NYP, Weill Cornell Medicine and Columbia University Irving Medical Center.
Employees are strongly encouraged to rethink any non-urgent travel plans. This travel mandate applies to those who arrive in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut. Healthcare workers must follow the below instructions in regards to this travel mandate.
- Asymptomatic employees are NO LONGER required to undergo TESTING (OR QUARANTINE) AFTER DOMESTIC TRAVEL (i.e., travel to any state or U.S. territory). All travelers are still required to complete the NYS Traveler Form upon return.
- Employees may return to work immediately upon return as long as they are asymptomatic.
- *Unvaccinated employees who work in nursing homes after domestic/international travel must quarantine for a mandatory 14 days after return.
- Nursing home employees who have recovered from COVID-19 in the past 3 months, do not need to quarantine.
- Unvaccinated domestic travelers are recommended to get COVID tested 3-5 days after arrival in NY.
- Symptomatic employees must report their case to the NYP COVID Tracker or contact the WHS COVID-19 Hotline (646-697-9470; Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-1 p.m.) to receive further instructions, arrange testing and stay quarantined.
- Asymptomatic Fully Vaccinated employees are NO LONGER required to quarantine after international travel. Testing on day 3-5 after return is not required but is available upon request.
- Unvaccinated employees returning from international travel must quarantine for 7 days and have a negative COVID-19 PCR test 3-5 days after return prior, to returning to work.
- Unvaccinated employees who work in nursing homes after domestic/international travel must quarantine for a mandatory 14 days after return.
- Testing prior to return to US may be required. International travelers must follow the CDC’s international travel requirements including showing proof of a negative diagnostic test for COVID-19 no more than 3 days before boarding a flight to the U.S., or documentation of recovery from a prior COVID-19 infection prior to boarding.
- Employees must report their international travel to the NYP COVID Tracker or contact the WHS COVID-19 Hotline (646-697-9470; Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 7 a.m.-1 p.m.) to receive further instructions and arrange testing when indicated.
Plan time for COVID-19 testing: As you prepare for travel, please include time in your planning to include 2-3 days for testing and to receive the result. You can call the WHS hotline at 646-697-9470 in advance of travel to assist in facilitating testing.
Available Testing: NYP continues to offer testing to employees returning from travel. Employees may also seek testing within their local community locations. Employees are encouraged to keep in mind when negative results are required to return to work, results must be from a PCR test.
New Hire On-Boarding Post Travel
Newly hired staff coming from COVID international locations are advised to contact the WHS COVID Hotline and arrange diagnostic testing in advance of arriving to NY. Testing should be within 3-5 days after arrival.
If you have questions about these protocols, please contact the WHS hotline at 646-697-9470. Please remember to upload your COVID test results to the NYP COVID Tracker or to the hotline when indicated.
You can also contact the WHS COVID Hotline or HR Connects through the chat function at the bottom right corner of your screen, or “Submit a request” for more information.